As discussed in the previous blog post, pollution has awful effects on the seas and oceans, but it is up to us to avoid them. This is how you can help:
- Don’t leave trash behind when you visit the beach – I know this one is pretty obvious, but it is worth mentioning it. Even if it is not fair to you to be asked to clean after other people, if you are walking down the beach and you see a plastic bottle, try to safely remove it and throw it in a garbage trash.
- Be an ocean friendly pet owner – always clean your pet’s trash, even at the beach and read the ingredients written on their food portions and make sure that it does not contain endangered species of sea food.
- Eat ocean friendly food – we actually have a whole blog post on this theme, you can check it out here.
- If you do scuba diving or snorkeling, don’t touch reefs and don’t pick up sea weed or rocks – everything has a very particular role and reefs are so sensible that the littlest change can affect them.
- Only buy ocean friendly souvenirs. There are places which sell pieces of reefs, dried starfish or seahorses – always stay away from those places, you don’t want to support that type of shops.
- Volunteer for organisations which take care of ocean conservation.
- Reduce energy consumption in your home and mind your carbon footprint because the increase ocean acidification and sea level rise. Reduce your energy consumption by unplugging electronic devices when you are not using them and by choosing walking or cycling over car rides. If you do choose to drive, make sure your tires are properly inflated – a flat tire will increase your gas consumption
- Go for water friendly sports – kayaking for example. However, if you can’t stay away from jet skiing or you really want to go on a cruise, do your research and find out what is the most sustainable option.
- Use less plastic – replace plastic bags with reusable bags and so on.
- Raise awareness about the negative effects of pollution and encourage other people to fight for our seas and oceans.
Do you have any more suggestions? Share them with us in the comment section below.