Did you know that Canterbury Christ Church University are one of 33 Universities to sign the People and Planet Green Education Declaration?
Our Acting Vice Chancellor, Andrew Ironside, signed up on behalf of the institution to make a public commitment that we:
* Recognise the need to ensure that global average temperatures do not rise more than 2C in order to avoid the most severe effects of climate change
* Welcome the introduction of sector-wide carbon reduction targets and acknowledge the benefits of a clear framework that shapes our collective responsibilities to the threat of climate change
* Reaffirm our commitment to achieving the targets set out in our own carbon reduction strategies and a sector-wide carbon reduction of 43% by 2020 on 2005 emission levels.
* Commit to integrating education for sustainable development into our institution’s curricula, recognising the key role we play in educating those who will create a sustainable low carbon economy and society.
* Urge the Government to work with the sector in developing a vision and strategy for the sector’s smooth and urgent transition to a sustainable and low carbon future.
* Call for the government, through its funding councils, to provide adequate resources, incentives and support to enable the sector’s transition to a sustainable and low carbon future.
Find out more here!